Running Mate v3.0 for Windows Phone 8 is now available in the marketplace. Please download here:
Thanks for the overwhelming support during the beta that has made this release possible. Tens of bugs caught and fixed during this phase wouldn’t be possible without your help. I would like to a big thanks to everyone who’s sent feedback in any shape or form. Thank you!
A special shout-out to Gokul, Billy and Sarah for the continued feedback. The most solid evidence of RC stability came from Billy who decided to take Running Mate out for his 90km journey in Indonesia. Although he didn’t run that distance the accuracy was pretty good and the whole trip was tracked offline with the app running in the background. Billy shared some pictures from his trip and I couldn’t resist sharing them (thanks Billy):
The Release Candidate of Running Mate for Windows Phone 8 is now available for the same group of beta testers. Please download here:
I’ve fixed the following in this release:
- Time on the run screen lags behind after few minutes. This was a purely a cosmetic thing, the actual run time was still calculated correctly.
- When changing distance units, the change didn’t apply in run history view.
- Calories in run history view always display 0.
Thanks everyone for your support and feedback. We’ve managed to close all reported issues and most of the features requests. Please note this is the final beta and we’ll release a Release Candidate before releasing the version in Windows Store. We’ll only be fixing issues for this release and not adding new features. Some of the features that we couldn’t squeeze in this release will become part of the future releases. Here is a list of issues and features we have fixed so far:
- Height and Weight is not saved. It resets to default.
- Wrong speed and distance is calculated in splits.
- Live tile not updating in the background.
- Location tracking issues when starting a run from no GPS lock.
- Big buttons instead of small app bar buttons in run view.
- End point and end time is not in sync. Your end point is now your actual end point according to your location instead. Extra time added between last location and when you stop your run is now removed.
- Added Imperial Units
- Removing an individual run now removes all linked medals and run data like distance and time.
Following issues are still open and we are working on it:
- Help page
- Some control colours are wrong in settings.
Here is a list of features that will become part of the next release:
- Option to share your run data.
- Audio feedback when running.
- Syncing run data.
- What to do with empty space on the main screen? We need your help in that. Please let us know what would you like to see there.
Thanks for being part of Running Mate closed beta. I just wanted to put a list of known issues here so everyone knows about what has been reported so far:
- Some issue in distance calculation. Less distance is being reported.
- Some flip buttons in settings use wrong colour.
- Some Nokia Lumia 620 users reported blank screen issue. The app doesn’t launch.
- Some medals are showing wrong values. Probably related to distance calculation issue (1).
- Help page is empty.
- Missing Imperial Units.
- Split page in settings doesn’t do anything.
- Changing Tile settings doesn’t make any difference.
Thanks for the overwhelming support for this beta. We have gone beyond what we were expecting. Thanks to Jay Bennett (WPCentral), Paul Lo and Mike Taulty (Microsoft). We are not taking more users with high end devices at this stage but we do need more users with Nokia Lumia 620, 520 and HTC 8S phones. More users with all devices will be added in the next phase happening next week.
Running Mate beta for Windows Phone 8 is now available for closed beta testing. The beta is available for selected set of users. If you’d like to help out with the testing then all you need to do is follow the instructions below. Please note that we are looking for a diverse set of regions and devices so not everyone will be part of this stage. However, we are looking for a very large set of users so most of you will be fine. Here is the link to Windows Phone store:
You’ll need a Windows Phone 8 device and an active Microsoft Account linked to your phone and the Store. This is the same account you used to setup your phone. Please send email to email@example.com with following detail:
- Windows Phone you’ll be using for this testing.
- Your country and language.
- Your Microsoft Account (email address) linked to your Windows Phone.
This new version of Running Mate is created from scratch to make full use of new capabilities introduced in Windows Phone 8. Here are some of the features you will see in the new version:
- Background Run Tracking. You can switch apps or go to home screen without losing your run.
- Medals. You’ll earn medals as you achieve different stages of running.
- Nokia Maps instead of Bing maps.
- Full offline Nokia Maps support. If you have downloaded Nokia Maps for your region then Running Mate will not load maps using your Internet Connection. Very good for your data limits. Works with all Windows Phone 8 devices.
- 3D Maps and Landmarks support in Run View.
- Some UI changes to bring Running Mate in line with Windows Phone guidelines.
- Several Performance Improvements. It will feel more responsive.
- Wide live tile support
- More to come…
One of the best looking pregnancy companion apps, Baby Kicks for Windows RT/ Windows 8 and Baby Kicks+ for Windows Phone 8 now available as a free download.
Download for Windows RT/ Windows 8
Download for Windows Phone 8