Running Mate beta for Windows Phone 8 is now available for closed beta testing. The beta is available for selected set of users. If you’d like to help out with the testing then all you need to do is follow the instructions below. Please note that we are looking for a diverse set of regions and devices so not everyone will be part of this stage. However, we are looking for a very large set of users so most of you will be fine. Here is the link to Windows Phone store:
You’ll need a Windows Phone 8 device and an active Microsoft Account linked to your phone and the Store. This is the same account you used to setup your phone. Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with following detail:
- Windows Phone you’ll be using for this testing.
- Your country and language.
- Your Microsoft Account (email address) linked to your Windows Phone.
This new version of Running Mate is created from scratch to make full use of new capabilities introduced in Windows Phone 8. Here are some of the features you will see in the new version:
- Background Run Tracking. You can switch apps or go to home screen without losing your run.
- Medals. You’ll earn medals as you achieve different stages of running.
- Nokia Maps instead of Bing maps.
- Full offline Nokia Maps support. If you have downloaded Nokia Maps for your region then Running Mate will not load maps using your Internet Connection. Very good for your data limits. Works with all Windows Phone 8 devices.
- 3D Maps and Landmarks support in Run View.
- Some UI changes to bring Running Mate in line with Windows Phone guidelines.
- Several Performance Improvements. It will feel more responsive.
- Wide live tile support
- More to come…